Monday, 24 May 2010

Whirlwind weekend.

I haven't updated since Thursday and that's bad, but I really haven't had the time! Let's start at Friday morning and make our way to right now (Monday morning).

On Friday morning we got up at 6 to get ready to go to Edinburgh to spend the weekend at a hotel for a job interview/work trial sort of thing as live in general assistants. But, first, we walked to Asda (15 minute walk) to get some new clothes since neither of us really had anything that was appropriate. Then we walked to the bus station (10 minute walk) and got a bus through to Edinburgh. We couldn't walk this part because it's an hour on the bus and would probably have taken days on foot :p

I'll mention at this point that we didn't have time for breakfast at all.

When we got there, we got another bus to the place. By then it was 11. We were asked to go familiarise ourselves with the area for a few hours because they were busy so we left and walked around the beach for 20 minutes then sat on the wall between the beach and the promenade for the remaining time until it was almost 2. Then we walked back up to the hotel (it was a 5 minute walk, if that!) and were put to work.

Note ; still not had lunch.

I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the bar. It was so messy and covered in dust because new beer taps had just been installed. Infact, to be honest, I think I finished at about 9ish. It involved a lot of stretching up to get bottles down from the high shelves and just general movement.

Then, hallelujah, we were given dinner (even though I really don't like eating so late, I almost wolfed it down because I was so hungry!) - I had a cheese and tomato sandwhich, 1/2 a bowl of tomato soup and a small portion of chips. It was heaven, but probably only because I was so starved!

Then they decided they wanted to completely re-arrange the dining room. So, we spent until 1 in the morning moving tables, chairs, crockery, cutlery, ornaments and giant dressers etc. out of the dining room then back in etc. etc.

We then went to bed and collapsed. We were up at 7 and started serving breakfast and clearing tables at 7.30. We then had breakfast which was (for me) a bowl of cornflakes, two eggs and two pieces of toast with a cup of tea.

At about 11.00 I went with the woman-owner to do the bedrooms. There are around 20 rooms over three floors covering two sides of the giant house. But, to go up to one side of the house you can't just cross over from the other. You have to go down the stairs and then up the other side. I spent the day, until 2 oclock, running up and down 3 flights of stairs with piles of laundry, linen etc. - inbetween making beds etc.

We were then given a break and, since the beer taps were new and the woman-owner still hadn't tried any of the beer from their new taps she wanted a drink and we were given one too. I had a half pint of Best.

Note ; no dinner.

We helped serve and clear up after dinner from 6-9.30 then were given more booze. I had a bottle of beer.

We then collapsed into bed and managed to stay up just long enough to watch that nights episode of Dr.Who which we'd been loading on I-player since it finished.

We woke up at 6 because James had to go help two guests get their gigantic suitcases down the stairs. Breakfast again - serving, clearing etc.

We then had our own breakfast which I made for everyone. I had two hash browns, two pieces of toast and two fried eggs.

Then onto the rooms with James helping me this time. But since we were both a little lost I think we went up and down the stairs even more than I had the day before. (Have I mentioned I hurt my ankle before we left our house? And that this whole weekend was done on a very sore, swollen ankle?)


We were then told to take a break but, long story short, there was a bit of a problem with some of the rooms we'd done (mostly because he'd had ZERO training and I'd had a minimal amount, and she expected me to realise I was meant to do things she hadn't told me to do the first day and hadn't done herself!) and her attitude stunk - shouting at us infront of guests, shouting at us for things that weren't our fault and generally being extremely unprofessional and cunt-ish. So, we used this break to call my Dad to pick us up and pack our bags. By the time he arrived, when I got in the car, I was exhausted, in agony all over and feeling horrible mentally and emotionally. BUT he had to take something to my Mums house which meant...

...I got to see Beth. Nothing is a better cure for sore muscles and a tired soul than a gorgeous, little ball of blonde goodness shouting 'MEMMA! MEMMA!' hysterically before the car has even pulled up. On my injured ankle and aching all over, I managed to half-run at her as she ran to me then just gave up and chucked myself at the ground where she was and spent about ten minutes cuddling her and getting kisses.

That was my soul sorted out, but my body was still a state...

I got two cups of water (I'd barely had time to drink whilst at the hotel!) then we went to my Dads.

I weighed myself there because he had a scale and I was bored. And, I'm a bit confused because it said I was 13 stone 2lbs, which would mean that since my weigh-in on the 15th I've lost 8lbs - which would be fab. But, that really doesn't seem right - it's been 9 days, meaning that I would have had to lose over a pound a day! I'm going to go check at the machine I usually use either later today or tomorrow, hopefully. If it IS correct, then I've lost 15lbs in total which is a stone and a pound! Which would be absolutely mad and fabulous! But, I'll assume for now it's incorrect just incase...

Anyway, we then got a lift to the bus station and got our bus. When the bus pulled into our stop we got off and walked a short distance to get James food. We then went home where I ate three quarters of a cheese pizza and a small strawberry yoghurt washed down with half a bottle of cola.

Then we went to bed.

I'll update on todays events tonight but I doubt much will have happened. I want to do my workout DVD but by working out on a sore ankle all I'm going to do is prolong the length of time it takes to recover. Instead, I'll probably just try to keep moving by tidying or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment